Nov 14, 2010

Before the Advent season

I have started listening to Christmas music.

I know that it is only the 14th of November. I know that it isn't cold enough for snow. I know that it is too early to put up the Christmas tree (though, I will likely do that this week, too). I know that black Friday doesn't happen until after the American Thanksgiving. I know that Remembrance Day was only 3 days ago.

I know that the Advent season has not started yet.

But what is wrong with being excited about the birth of my Saviour?

Christmas isn't some secularized tradition to me. It isn't about presents, or finishing exams, or snow, or Christmas trees (although, these are fun parts of the holiday season). It is about the fact that in a little over 40 days, I get to celebrate with my family and friends the fact that my God became human in order that He should die for my sins. He died so that I can have life.

My playlist is not filled with songs about Santa Claus. I get tired of the songs about snow and sleigh-rides (though, the romantic - and romance in the literary sense, here - idea of it all, is fun, and does add to the joy of the season). I'm not concerned with Frosty the Snowman, or the Grinch who stole Christmas, mostly because these things don't define Christmas.

Yet, as I look ahead to the Advent season, I can't help but be excited. Excited for lighting candles, for reading through Isaiah in preparation. For seeing family. For finishing exams (goodness, those are coming up quickly). For seeing houses lighted up. For seeing God's creation asleep under a blanket of snow. I'm excited to be a part of the body of Christ as it celebrates the coming of Jesus. He is the greatest gift there is.

That aside, I love snow, and wouldn't mind if Ancaster got some of that this year.

Word of the Day: discourse

Quote of the Day: "God created woman, and placed her in front of Adam, and he said, 'Wo! Man!' " Pastor John

2 comments:

Lynette said...

haha. Pastor John would say that, wouldn't he?

I agree with you about the Christmas sentiments. I love the Christmas season for so many reasons, some being the reading of Isaiah and lighting candles and all those wonderful traditions. Snow is also always wonderful and beautiful. I hope we get some here at some point.

The dB family said...

I'm thinking of putting on Handel's Messiah tomorrow and cranking it. The kids haven't quite developed an appreciation for it yet, but Christmas is not Christmas without listening to The Messiah!

Blessings!
Deborah