Jan 11, 2011

Off to Montreal!

Tomorrow morning I leave for Montreal. I have the privilege of representing The Crown and Redeemer at the Canadian University Press Conference. Needless to say, I am both excited and nervous.


Excited because:
- I have the opportunity to meet and connect with hundreds of other students involved in journalism.
- I get to be a witness of a Christian journalist, and Christian paper at a conference where the vast majority of the papers are secular and sometimes questionable in some of their printed material.
- I get to listen to some of the most prominent names in journalism speak during sessions of the week!
- I get to have a tour of Montreal by my cousin Ryan (whom I see, once a year, at Knapper Christmas)


Nervous because:
- It's snowing really hard, we are taking the train in the morning, and I'm a little nervous for travel.
- Suddenly, I am a little fish in a big pond. The Crown gives me a little bit of authority in the Redeemer world, but also responsibility. I'm nervous that I will be completely overwhelmed and not be able to adapt to the 'big pond', or have any idea as to what other papers are talking about
- Voting at Plenary is a little scary. I have the Crown's vote at CUP/NASH, involving things that don't actually affect our tiny little paper all that much, but may have a huge impact in the grand scheme of things!


On a completely different note, I would like to give you a glimpse into a conversation that occurred between myself and Meredeth (and also Joel Sjaarda, who was there at the time, but is more of a bystander, rather than an actual participant). It goes something like this:


BK: I strongly dislike you right now!
Mer: No, Brittany. You simply dislike the fact that you cannot access the extensive vocabulary which you are expected to have, given you are an English Major, which is causing you to lack any sort of legitimate response to my teasing you.


Oiy!


I'll post photos later this week. And I'm hoping to sneak a post in tomorrow while I am on the train. VIArail has become quite considerate, offering free WiFi on their trains!


Word of the Day: Incredulity


Quote of the Day: "And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ - to the glory and praise of God." Philipians 1: 9-11

No comments: