Apr 3, 2010

A Love Letter to Reading


It has been a very long time since I have read a book that left me with a feeling of complete contentment.

I love reading. But, I find myself critical of what I read (it's that darn pending English degree). So when I find a novel that leaves me completely awestruck, I simply have to share it with all of you. This book is called 'The Thirteenth Tale' and it is by Diane Setterfield. It requires preparation.

Before you read it, I suggest getting some background knowledge of Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, Rebecca, Emma, and The Woman in White. Also, fill your literary hankerings with Sherlock Holmes. (As I think about it, this is probably the reason why I enjoyed the book so fully.) After you've done that, delving into some Virginia Woolf and Isak Dinesan might not be a bad idea either.

"My study throngs with characters waiting to be written. Imaginary people, anxious for life, who tug at my sleeve crying, "Me next! Go on! My turn!" I have to select. And once I have chosen, the others lie quiet for ten months or a year, until I have come to the end of the story, and the clamour starts up again."

I was amazed by this paragraph. Any writer knows that this is exactly how it goes.

This book is a love letter to reading, in its truest form. It is a celebration of life, stories, and family. Pick it up. Read it. It is not an option.

Word of the Day: Clamour

Quote of the Day: "Sometimes the system goes all kaplink." Kristen (misquoting lyrics from Bad Day by Daniel Powter




No comments: