Jun 23, 2013

Crochet Projects: or, The Marriage Blanket

Sometime around Christmas, two of my friends got engaged (I am in my early 20s, so these things are becoming daily Facebook news stories). These two are absolutely two of the best people I know, so I wanted to ensure that I gave them something wonderful for their future together. The result? A three month long crochet project which I have affectionately dubbed: "The Marriage Blanket."


The blanket is made up of granny squares in various combinations of red, off-white, hunter green, and chocolate brown. These colours were (for the most part) chosen by the bride. 



 All wool was RedHeart brand, purchased at good ole Walmart (because budgeting my hobbies is important).

The blanket began to take shape as I layed the squares on the floor. Each granny square was 8 rows, with chocolate brown in the middle and on the outside.



I attached the squares with a simple single crochet stitch going vertical first, and then horizontal. I finished the outside by single crochet stitching the white around the perimeter of the blanket, and then shell stitching around that to add a scallop. 


The blanket is actually big enough to fit a double bed and turned out quite heavy. It will be perfect for those cold nights after they marry in October.

What have you been working on? I love to look at other crocheter's projects.

1 comment:

joyce said...

Beautiful afghan Britt! They will love it. Love the colours, the pattern and layout! You are a natural!