Jul 16, 2008

Some things money can't buy...

Casting Crowns wrote amazing lyrics. 'I will praise you in this storm, and I will lift my hands, for you are who you are, no matter where I am. Every tear I cried, you hold in your hand. You've never left my side, and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm.'

Today, I had an experience money cannot buy. I spent the entire afternoon shopping with my mother. We had a lovely time, shopping for incredible shoes, and outfits, and all the razzle dazzle (which some people call bling) to go with the outfits. It was wonderful. For all the money we spent, the best moment came on the drive home, through the lightening storm.

Those Casting Crowns lyrics became very literal to me as our van chugged along the 402 towards Strathroy as the clouds sort of enclosed around us....or above us...whichever creates a more dramatic mental photo for you. Thunderstorms scare me. And so all I could think (even through the blasting Michael Buble music we had in the CD player) were those Casting Crowns lyrics. I will praise you in this storm. This one, right now, God, protect me. Let me tell you, there were a few strikes of lightening that came close to the highway.

But the more I watched the storm, and replayed the lyrics over and over in my mind, the more I found the storm to be quite breathtaking. Terrifying, but incredibly breathtaking. The lightening danced between the clouds in hues of blues and oranges and yellows and white. Spectacular evidences of the hands of God. 'I will praise you in this storm.' Not a storm of life, and no, my heart was not broken, or torn, nor had I cried any tears, but the lightening reminded me that even in the storms of life God's hand is right there. His handywork is evident, and He is protecting us. How often we wonder why we are put through the tough times. How often we curse God for making things miserable, and perhaps even unbearable, but there is still beauty. Even in the most terrifying moments, look at the colour in the lightening and remember God is there.

'I will praise You in this storm, and I will lift my hands.' Perhaps I won't lift my hands at the lightening, but because of it.

-bk

No comments: