My apologies, dear readers. I have been posting sporadically over the summer months and it needs to be corrected. So, in honour of August's first post, I have a bunch of facts about August.
1) August was named after Caesar Augustus. The month was originally 29 days long, but 2 days got added because Caesars feel pretty good about themselves. (I would too, if I was the ruler of the Roman world.)
2) Cleopatra was born in August.
3) My little sister was born in August. She's turning 18 on August 11. It's kind of a big deal.
4) Apparently there were a whole bunch of really important battles fought in August. They must have been important, considering I did not recognize any of the names of these battles, nor the dates they were fought on.
5) Apparently, August 5th is Beer Day. A day to celebrate beer. Just what this world needs.
6) Everyone's favourite french dictator was born on August 15th, 1769. I want to say Europe would never look the same, but its geography hasn't changed much. Apparently Napoleon was pretty short. Though, he can't be too bitter, he did get ice cream named after himself. Exile paid off after all.
7) August is Cataracts Awareness Month, Happiness Happens Month, Get Ready for Kindergarten Month, and my favourite: Panini Month.
8) Hawaii became the 50th US state in August.
9) In common years, no other month starts on the same day of the week as August, except on leap years. Then, August has to trade its individuality in so that February can be extended.
10) August means "defined" or "imposing".
And there you go!
Now for something I like to call 'Alex Reads Twilight'.
Word of the Day: Confused
Quote of the Day: ... Actually, today is quoteless. Instead I will leave you with these wise words. Bonus points if you can tell me who said it without looking it up. :D